Its inevitable and undeniable we age… Unless you are like me and Benjamin Button. At least in my mind thats how I feel. Yes attitude helps, life style seriously helps and setting yourself up to win is a major plus. Its 2018 and we hear 40 is the new 20 or some shit like that? I get what they are saying, however I know 20yr olds that are in their 70’s! Don't worry gang your secret is safe with me. Lazy, not focused, poor judgement, bad attitude and bad choices your problem not mine.
Two things have always stuck with me. When I was younger I was always surrounded by older people. I was that kid running around a bunch of Yacht guys listening to the good old day stories, about fishing, business deals, women, drinking, and fine cigars. Back to what stuck with me. Around 14/15yrs old I was handed $100 buy a boater to clean his boat while him and his buddies cleaned and shared their spoils from the day of fishing. As I cleaned and fell in and out of the manly conversation with my peers.
One of the men says. Look at this kid, young, healthy, just made 100 Bucks and has so much in front of him. These gentlemen where easily in their 70’s. One of them says I used to think 30 was old, then I thought 40 was old. Looking back now I see how young 40 is, and how much more I had to offer and was able to do. That statement had such a profound effect on me! As the afternoon went on and the sun started to set in the Bahamas. I found myself hanging out with them, eating the fish they just grilled and hearing loads of stories, some a 15yr old should clearly not hear…
The second thing that stuck with me was a term I heard about Navy Seals. Keep in mind I've never been in the military and have no desire to! However I respect the armed forces and what they do for us. The saying was along the lines of. Its the old Navy Seal still in action you should really worry about, cause he's surviving in short lived young mans game… For some reason it stayed with me.
Moving forward in this game you learn what works and what to throw out. You also get what you put in. The rock recently said and I quote “Perspective Always Drives Your Performance” This couldn't be more to the point and work on so many levels. We recently had a gym member leave and his reason and again I quote “I Don't Want To Work So Hard In A Gym” Keep in mind this gentlemen also stated not to long ago, “I Want A Six Pack And Bigger Legs” Now he's down the road doing cookie cutter workouts at a level he doesn't have to work hard, Good luck Bro!
Ok back to training in your 40’s. Yes time takes its toll and yes certain things you need to be more aware of. Smart doesn't mean lazy, remember you want to be in this game as long as possible!
My training over the years has constantly changed, I will go as far as to say I'm constantly in a foundation phase. what that means is. I’m always changing things, tweaking things, adding and subtracting things to the recipe. Its amazing what worked before doesn't work now and what works now didn't work before, I shit you not! Now I've started a new phase my programming looks like this.
Monday: AM 1-20 Back squat breathing ladder, at a demanding weight.
Monday: PM 1hr stretching with loads of 2-3min holds
Tuesday: AM 30sec all outs! 30sec full rest! 10min each, or 1min work 1min rest with a 3-5 rep movement in the rest period depending on the workout. This always changes and consists of
Battle Ropes, Sledge hammer and Tire, Burpees, Box Jumps, Ball Slams, Boxing / Punching Bag, Weighted Vest and Bungie Sprints, Wall Balls, Kettle Bells etc… my goal is always all out max reps on the work portion..
Tuesday: PM 1hr stretching with loads of 2-3min holds
Wednesday: AM Is a free for all these days I go “HEAVY AS FUCK” on all body parts, Biceps, Back, Legs, Chest, Shoulders etc. Usually spend about 12-13min on each. Its fun it spikes the testosterone and it just makes you feel like a man… Its that simple!
Wednesday: PM 1hr stretching with loads of 2-3min holds
Thursday: AM Again 30/30 OR 1min on 1min off depending on the movements usually will train with a partner sled push, rope pulls, pull ups, push ups, HSPU, jump rope, air squats etc
Thursday: PM 1hr stretching with loads of 2-3min holds
Friday: AM 1-20 Over Head Press Breathing Ladder weight varies as this is more of a difficult movement, for so many reps and keeping it strict is a must! For those new or not hip to the game. putting shit over your head makes you strong, and works the core and lower back. Also super hero shoulders are a must! before you ask yes with a Barbell.
Friday: AM 1hr stretching with loads of 2-3min holds
Saturday: AM This is usually the only day that my boy Tom and I. Get to catch up talk shit and train together… Usually it will be a mix up 1 work 1 rest type of full body session.
Saturday: PM 1hr stretching with loads of 2-3min holds
Sunday: 1hr stretching with loads of 2-3min holds
Then usually I'm just decompressing from the week. kids, Playstation, Reading, Writing, still being active, just living life outside the gym and plotting for the coming week…
A FEW NOTES ABOUT THE TRAINING WEEK:
1) You can clearly see a pattern “Stretching” being the most obvious! Its a major must for me. Some may think its a joke or not needed or you don't see the benefits of it. Anyone doing it, will tell you that you are jacked after doing holds for 2-3min while also stretching. Some of my players sweat worse from stretching then the actual workouts. Not cool for those all show and no go 20-30yr olds.
2) My two isolated workouts of the week. Monday’s and Fridays. May be deceiving but are game changers really. Both build strength, make you sweat and fucks with your mental game! breathing ladders are a major win/win and keep you in the moment.
3) You can also see most of my workouts right now aren't involving the holiest of holy’s the barbell. Yes barbells are wicked and great workout tools, anyone saying different are idiots. To be honest I'm truly tired them right now. I've leaned more towards more real life workouts as you can see. HAHAHA I’ve just started some shit saying that! Yeah I said it and what??
3) I wanted to also give a little more detail on my 30/30 1min on 1min off sessions, they work in blocks of 10min with a 3-5min rest before the next workout. looks like this
1min all out max sledge hammer hits on a tire “alternate arms”
1min rest during rest complete 5x strict toes to bar or 5x Goblet Squats etc.
1min all out punching back
1min rest during rest complete 5x push ups or 5x Box Jumps
SEE THE PATTERN? And it fucks you up if done right!
two more sessions like this and your 40min to an hour is done!
its the same with the 30sec all out 30sec rest sessions
4) The wednesday session really is a no brainer… its reward and a time to get Jacked and like i said spike your testosterone. actually lets finish this blog with testosterone tips.
What I do to keep my Testosterone up is simple and easier then most think.
1) Heavy lifts for sure help with it!
2) Also a good regular dosage of 80’s and 90’s action movies such as Rambo, Predator, Die Hard and Lethal Weapon does wonders! As your lawyer I advise you to watch at least three a week, its guaranteed to spike your testosterone by 30%…
3) Another one is Sex, yeah I said it! You burn calories and it wakes up your inner STUD! believe me a long pair of legs in your bed will do wonders on the Testosterone side of things and leave a smile on your face.
4) On the supplement side I'm only into the natural stuff, I use Zinc, Magnesium, Vitamin D, MCT oils or Coconut oil, Avocados, quality meats, eggs and I leave out the sugars whenever possible. Also get yourself a descent BCAA.
5) Keeping the weight off will also jack up your testosterone.
6) Drop the stress if possible “which is sometimes easier said then done” also get rid of negative people or things in your life. That one I'm a firm believer on, no matter what the consequences may be…
7) Not sure how much weight this holds for testosterone, however consume a shit load of water… It has always made me wide awake and ready to get after it. we clearly don't need to go into the benefits of water right?
8) Quality Sleep! It kicks in HGH
I leave you with this, embrace the journey and enjoy the experience. Never be scared to start over, no matter how far long or old you are. Change is growth and usually a good thing. don't get set in your ways cause ways change. Probably one of the best things I was ever told by an old man was… When you get to be my age son, never trust a fart, never pass up a toilet and never waste a boner…